Does Your Home Have a High EMF Reading? 

An electromagnetic field (EMF) is a measurement of energy that causes a current to flow through a circuit. It is a type of radiation in the form of waves, and is created by electrical voltage and current flow. Every cell in your body produces an electromagnetic field, but on a small level. The earth produces electromagnetic fields as well. These natural EMFs are in very low frequencies. There are many man-made appliances and devices that produce higher EMF levels: hair dryers, cell phones, microwaves, power lines, televisions, and many more devices that produce electrical currents. Research has shown that high EMF levels can have damaging effects on the human body such as sleep and stress issues, weakening of the immune system, and even cancer. Aside from the electronic devices and appliances we use every day, a high EMF reading can result from electrical wiring and grounding problems in both residential and commercial properties.

emf reading

EMF Reading

 

Detecting EMF Levels in Your Home

While it is known that many electronics and appliances in the home emit higher levels of EMFs, it’s more frequently the case that high levels of EMFs in the home are due to poorly wired homes and improper grounding systems. If you are comfortable with detecting EMF levels yourself, there are three different devices you can rent or buy, like a magnetic field meter, also known as a Gaussmeter, which is most commonly used to detect high EMF levels; however, because electrical wiring and grounding could be the cause for a high EMF reading, it’s best to hire a professional to detect EMFs so that he or she can troubleshoot your wiring. A licensed electrician can problem-solve and fix the wiring or grounding errors that are commonly the cause for high EMFs in and around the home.

 

Things to Do to Reduce High EMF Exposure

  • Replace knob and tube wiring – this older type of wiring is known for higher magnetic frequencies
  • Have a licensed electrician wire your home with Romex wiring
  • Remove “point” sources from sleeping areas, work areas, and leisure areas. (“Point” sources include: electronic devices and appliances with a big current load such as washers and dryers, refrigerators, heaters, microwaves, etc.)
  • Have a licensed electrician inspect amateur home wiring that has new “modern-day” wiring material like Romex (Remember: professional, licensed electricians should be the only ones to wire your home! Many errors with faulty wiring can leave you at risk for high EMF exposure due to the imbalance of hot and neutral current)
  • Have a licensed electrician inspect your current grounding system for problems
  • Have a licensed electrician inspect and fix neutral to grounding connectivity issues anywhere other than your main electrical panel (this can emit high magnetic fields)